Barangay Hall Burol


In February 2016 Myrna and myself briefly visited Barangay Burol, in the Municipality of Looc, Lubang Island, to gather photos etc. for a web page as there does not appear to be much information readily available.

While in Burol we were assisted by local school and barangay officials. The total population of Burol as at May 1, 2010 was 859, from the 2010 census.

Irrigation Aqueduct on entering Burol

The Ilocano families of Pranada and Pascual from Luzon, were the first inhabitants of this place in 1850. To be able to plant palay and corn, they cleared the lowland where bamboos and a kind of tree called tag-araw, grew abundantly.

When the number of inhabitants increased, an Aglipayan priest called Fr. Victorio suggested that their settlement be called San Victorio which the people agreed.

In 1902, in order that the nearby sitio of Agkawayan would become a barrio, its leaders encouraged the families of San Victorio to transfer to their community. The families of Ilocano farmers transferred to Agkawayan.

However, after a few years, when their relatives arrived from Luzon, they returned to San Victorio. This time, they built houses on the hills and called their new community as Burol. When their sitio was elevated to the status of a barrio, they registered Burol as its official name.

When World War II broke out, Burol was one of the hiding places of the people who avoided the abuses of the Japanese soldiers. After the war, many families of farmers were convinced by their relatives to transfer to the municipality of Calintaan, Sablayan and San Jose. However, after a few years, some families returned to Burol

Reference: HISTORY OF LOOC by Rudy Candelario - translated into English by Benjamin Walata. (

Burol - Street water tap

In 1972, Fr. Karl Barbian, an SVD missionary who was assigned in Looc, built a water system for clean drinking water in Burol.

With the help of his friends and benefactors from Germany and the provincial government of Occidental Mindoro, pipes were installed at the houses of the families in the community.

The source of water was the spring at the upper portion of the hills of Burol.

... In 1979, through Lubang Electric Cooperative (LUBELCO), electricity reached many houses in Burol. The said service and the construction of an irrigation system, by National Irrigation Administration (NIA) for the agricultural land in Burol helped in the gradual elevation of the economic condition of the people in this barangay.

Through the cooperative labor of the people of Agkawayan and Burol, a hanging bridge was built over the river between the two barrios. During that time, since no road existed, carabaos and horses were used as means of transportation.

It was only in 1962 when the national road connecting Tilik, Lubang and the center of the municipality of Looc was constructed. At the same time, a concrete bridge which replaced the hanging bridge, was built over the river between Burol and Agkawayan.

Subsequently, a feeder road from Burol to the national road was also constructed, making it easier for the farmers to transport their products.

Reference: HISTORY OF LOOC by Rudy Candelario - translated into English by Benjamin Walata. (

Approaching Burol
Washing clothes in the Agkawayan river

The Agkawayan river, that can be seen next to the main Burol settlement, has been dammed further upstream for irrigation purposes.

When Lt. Hiroo Onoda, a Japanese straggler who hid for almost thirty years at the forests of Lubang, conferred with his countryman Yukio Suzuki, before he surrendered to Gen. Rancudo in 1974, the incident happened in a place near the river of Burol.

That historic meeting place is now called Wakayama Point by government authorities.

Barangay Burol, Municipality of Looc from G.E
Burol Barangay Hall
A classroom at Burol School
A view inside Burol School

Some residents of the place strived to learn how to read and write. They were taught by Estanislao Pascual how to read the Spanish words in the caton, reading material during that time. When Maestro Pascual retired, he was succeeded by Mr. Arce and then by Mr. Escutillo.

In 1927, the aforementioned successors of Maestro Pascual began to teach at the primary school opened by the government in Burol. However, they only borrowed the books which their pupils used from the nearby public school of Agkawayan.

The first pupils still remember that the titles of their first books were Planting Rice and Caton. The public school of Burol was able to acquire its own books and construct its own school buildings made of strong materials, after thirty years.

Reference: HISTORY OF LOOC by Rudy Candelario - translated into English by Benjamin Walata. (

Burol elementary school depicted teaches students from the first grade to the sixth. It has five instructional classrooms and one non-instructional. There are about 170 students and an approximate class size of 30. Liezel T. Pascual is the school's Teacher in Charge.

Burol - Iglesia Filipina Independance Church
Buro - Basketball Court
Street Scene in Barangay Burol
Children outside a Brgy. Burol house
A Brgy. Burol house
Farm equipment in Burol
Children playing in Brgy. Burol
Aqueduct by Burol Barangay Hall
Officials of Barangay Burol, Municipality of Looc