The local inhabitants believe that Vigo is shortened form of the name of a tree called malabrigo.
A chapel was built in Vigo during the Spanish occupation but later destroyed by a typhoon in 1905. Later the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) built a concrete chapel.
High taxes were introduced by the Spanish, and many local inhabitants moved from place to place, or lived in mountainous regions to avoid paying them.
In 1901 American soldiers landed in Vigo and Tilik and then took control of Lubang.
In 1902 a primary school was established, first in a private house, and then in a permanent building in 1904.
The Americans introduced the disease - rinderpest - from mainland Asia, and the epidemics killed about 90% of domesticated cattle. This affected Vigo from 1904 to 1922. The local inhabitants raised cattle and carabao.
A large fire occurred in April 1909 which destroyed most of the buildings in Vigo.
The Americans built a bridge across the Vigo river.
The Japanese occupied Vigo in World War II, and when the Americans landed in Lubang and took control on February 28, 1945 the Japanese surrendered, were killed or took to the mountainous areas.
In 1947 about 300 Japanese 'stragglers' surrendered and the last one, Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda surrendered on March 10, 1974 at Gozar Radar Station.
Onoda and his three companions stole food, killed cattle for food , and killed four local people so the inhabitants of Vigo were much relieved when Onoda finally gave himself up.
Reference: HISTORY OF LUBANG by Rudy Candelario - translated into English by Benjamin Walata. (http://occidentalmindorohistory.googlepages.com/historylubang)