Sea view of St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church, Laoang

Built in the 17th century by the Franciscan Friars, who utilised forced labor. Its stone walls are two meters thick. In 2011 a concrete seawall below the western face of the church was completed to stop erosion. It was built in three stages and is clearly visible. The priests' boat can be seen by the landing steps in the centre of the picture above. The green roofed fishermans cottage and the priests' boat is also included in photos below.


A local girl in the village below the church

The day after the funeral of Myrna's eldest brother, she decided to visit Laoang in the afternoon as a break. I tagged along with a camera.

Fr. Alzina in his visit to the Lawang Island and Rawis area in 1640 says, "On the opposite side of Rawis, on the Lawang Island, which is a sandbar there is a solid ridge of rock. It is fashioned by nature itself and it is so steep that it looks like a facade of a wall ... "

"...It was a natural fortification, due to its great height of massive rock; it was also secured as if by a moat which encircled its three sides. The fourth side was blocked by a palisade of strong logs. Then too, nature also formed on one side of this rock something like a small cove with its little beach."

In 1869 a great fire broke out in the town and besides many other buildings, it consumed the entire roof and wooden materials of the church, belfry and convent. Five years later the church complex was reconstructed.

Reference 1: A SHORT HISTORY OF LAOANG PARISH By Msgr. Gaspar D. Balerite, H.P., S.Th.D. (


Priests' House at St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church, Laoang

Beside the power pole in the above photo appears remains from the original fortress wall and watch tower built in the 19th century.

"To prevent the onslaughts of Moro invaders the Governor General proposed in 1814 the construction of defensive plans. Fr. Jose Mata, the parish priest of both Laoang and Palapag was cited for being the first to have launched a construction of muralla in Laoang at his own expense."

Front facade of St.Michael the Archangel Parish Church, Laoang
St. Peter with a key to the Kingdom of Heaven

Virgin Mary and St Michael the Archangel icons at the Laong Catholic Church
St.Paul with a sword and book.

A fishermans house below the St. Michaelthe Archangel Parish Church, Laoang,Nothern Samar
The Altar at the St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church - Laoang, Northern Samar

As our visit to Laoang was on Easter Thursday the figure of Christ on the cross and the icon of St Michael the Archangel were covered with a purple cloth.
"The retablo is not a restoration of the original for it completely collapsed in shambles during the onlaught of typhoon Dinang on December 25, 1982. It is made of concrete and wood, and the classical capitals (corinthian and ionic) and some other carvings are gilded with synthetic gold. It is made possible through the good hearts of donors and volunteers - a fitting tribute to the Giver of Life."

Santo Nino Shrine, Laoang

Located at the front of the church overlooking the estuary. Built in 2013.

Santo Nino Icon,Laoang
Statue of San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila - the first Filipino Saint

Located towards the rear of the church on the eastern side.

Plaque on the monument to San Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila
Interior view of St. Michael the Archangel Parish Churh, Laoang
Priests boat below the western wallof the St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church,Laoang
Main entrance, St. Michael Parish Church,Laoang

"St. Michael the Archangel Church was renovated from 1842 to 1852. A baptistery was added to the nave during the term of Fr. Angel Pulido. He covered the church and the convent with azulejo tiles. He also built the belfry, which was damaged in the early 1900s but was repaired in 1926."

Both the roof and belfry appear to have been repaired and/or replaced in more recent years.